Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tour It Tuesdays • Queen West

This week I'll be bringing you to Queen Street West, my first neighbourhood in Toronto. I was very lucky to reside in the "hippest part of town" at the time which has now turned into an outdoor shopping mall. The walk to Kensington Market and Chinatown and even nightlife was super convenient and everything was always open. It's not for me now since it was so easy to spend on eating out with all the choices but I am glad I got a taste of that. Some of my favourites are still there despite the ultra gentrification of the area and skyrocketing rents. My reason for moving besides that I couldn't afford it anymore? Not being able to get out of the front door because homeless people turned it into their sleeping quarters. Sad.

Where to eat:

Black Bull
298 Queen St W
This place is repeatedly crowned as Toronto's Best Patio and it is. You'd only wanna go here in the summer though, for people watching mostly, since it's quite dingy inside.

Cafe Crepe
246 Queen St W
I've loved this place since it opened because I love crepes. I don't think anybody else sells crepes which is why I think they're doing so well.

East
240 Queen St W
I thought I was going to spend an arm and a leg when I ate here but such was not the case. This place was actually affordable and good. Lovely ambiance too.

Fressen
478 Queen St W
One of my top places to eat and hang out. This vegan restaurant pushed me to eat less meat because meatless in the form of their tempeh dish tasted THAT good. I miss this place.

Java House
537 Queen St W
My favourite place on earth. Seriously. I don't mind eating inside or outside. I eat breakfast, lunch or brunch here when I'm in the area. The servers are always friendly and it's super cheap!

Niche
626 Queen St W
I ate here with a friend a couple of years ago and loved it. I even bought some strawberry popcorn tea to take home with me because it was so yummy.

Rivoli
334 Queen St W
Another place to eat out on the patio and people watch. A variety of food to choose from and all oh so good.

Shanghai Cowgirl
538 Queen St W
I wanted to have my birthday here one year because it's a place with good food and good people in an awesome place.

What to do:

The Ballroom
145 John St
Just went here with the kids and friends recently and it was so much fun but I'm biased because I love bowling. Super overpriced but it does have awesome food, servers and atmosphere.

The Rex
194 Queen St W
I loved walking in here (most of the time alone) and catching an impromptu jam with beer in hand. One of my favourite places to hang out and listen to free live music.

Where to shop:

Black Market
256 Queen St W
This place is kind of a hit or miss for me sometimes. I guess it depends on what you like. It can be a little overpriced but there's still some gems to be found.

Get Outside
437 Queen St W
My favourite shoe shop ever. They have everything I love at a good price.

Groovy
323 Queen St W
If you don't find it at the above shop, they may have it here. I love this shop too.

Malabar
14 Mc Caul St
If you need an awesome costume, you'll find it here. Seriously. If you've never been here, go. It's quite an experience.

Moog Audio
442 Queen St W
I bought my headphones that I love here. My brothers love them too. They still have them.

Peach Beserk
507 Queen St W
This place was across my apartment and I always loved how colourful it is. It you love Betsey Johnson dresses, you'll love this store.

Silver Snail
367 Queen St W
I buy my graphic novels and vinyl toys here. I love this place. It gets nerdy but that's what I love about it.

So Hip It Hurts
323 Queen St W
The guys here are so nice. Buy your Nixon watches here and your skater stuff too.

Tribal Rhythm
248 Queen St W
My favourite vintage shop ever. I've bought countless hats and clothes here. I am in love with this place.

So there you have it, folks. Do you have any favourites that I missed? Also, I may have to move this to Sundays. I thought I would start Tell It Tuesdays to let you in on some mom stories and stuff. Would you like that? Wow, two posts this week and I cleaned the house! Yay! Have a good weekend y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment