Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Make It Monday

I fell in love with tissue paper flower pom poms a couple years ago when I saw them on Martha Stewart's site. They have blown up since then appearing in rooms and parties all over the world. I've been making them for every occasion in our house since Christmas 2009. Now you could get them at party stores and even Martha sells a kit that you could get at Wal-Mart. Before that though, there were lovely people selling them on Etsy. I don't think I could ever get sick of them and I still love making my own. Mostly because I want to spend as little as possible. There's a ton of tutorials online but here's how I do mine.

Step one:

Gather your materials (a pair of scissors, some rubber bands and tissue paper).

Step two:

Lay tissue flat then fold into halves until satisfied with size. Cut folds.

Step three:

Separate into layers of 6 or more. Whatever makes you happy. The more layers, the fluffier the flower but it's more work.

Step four:

Make 1/2 inch folds accordion style. Wrap rubber band around middle (not too tight). Cut pointed or rounded edges to make it look pretty or leave as is if that's your style.

Step five:

Peel tissue apart layer by layer until it forms flower. Pull from the part closest to rubber band or it'll rip and you'll curse me.

And that's it, you're all done! Now go hang them with fishing line or ribbon and pretty your place up!

No comments:

Post a Comment